Gender Science is the key to unlocking the secrets to boosting student engagement and performance.
WHY DO BOYS AND GIRLS LEARN DIFFERENTLY?
The male and female brains are hard-wired with unique structural and functional characteristics. They affect how boys and girls process information, perceive the world and respond with different behaviours. Vital findings have been documented and published by The Gurian Institute in Colorado, USA. It has carried out brain-based research for more than 20 years, with data from SPECT scans validated across 30 different cultures. It has trained more than 50,000 teachers from over 2,000 schools and districts in USA.
HOW UNIQUE ARE THE MINDS OF BOYS AND GIRLS?
The following are some examples:
• Boys’ prefrontal cortex matures later, leading to a shorter attention span, procrastination and more impulsive behaviour.
• Boys’ brains have more cortical areas dedicated to spatial-mechanical functioning. This makes them want to move objects through space, like balls, model airplanes, or just their arms and legs. They are also better at understanding abstract and spatial-mathematical concepts.
• Girls’ prefrontal cortex is more active than boys’ and develops at earlier ages. They tend to be more focused in learning, better in planning and organisation and less impulsive in behaviour than boys.
• Girls have, in general, stronger neural connectors in their temporal lobes than boys. These connectors lead to more sensually detailed memory storage, better listening skills and a greater use of detail in writing assignments.
HOW CAN EDUCATORS HELP?
• For boys, provide a scaffolding of vocabulary and phrases in language-learning to help them express themselves with greater details and clarity. Channel their energy and competitiveness into learning activities with team challenge and group work.
• For girls, provide concrete objects and illustrations to help them understand abstract concepts. Encourage Math and Science journal writing as well.
ABOUT MIND EDGE
As the Asia-Pacific strategic partner of The Gurian Institute, Mind Edge Learning Academy is the pioneer and leader in Memory Expert SystemTM, Gender Intelligence, Optimal Learning, Humour Intelligence and Peak Performance. Besides having trained more than 20,000 students since 2003, Mind Edge also conducts Gender Science workshops for teachers to increase their teaching effectiveness and boost students’ performance, as well as workshops for parents to strengthen their communication and relationship with their children.
FOR MORE INFO:
Call (65) 6345 1618 or visit www.mindedge.com.sg.